Slate roofing has a long history. There are a good number of options when you want to prepare the roof of your building. However, there is some calculation that needs attention of everyone who wants slate roofing from a slate roofer. All the options need great care and considerations before going with anyone. For people who want a durable roof that lasts for decades and even a century, slate roofing is the best option.
What To Know About Slate Roofing?
If you ask a slate roofer about how things work, they may not guide you about every detail. But we will try to include all the necessary information about how things work in slate roofing. On the basis of this discussion, we will list all the possible pros and cons of slate roofing. Also, if you need a slate roof repair service for your house you may get one in your area as there are many such providers who will assist you in the most professional manners.
According to slate roofer and slate roofing repair specialists, slate roofing is somehow expensive but yet affordable. Let’s do the mathematics. On average, slate roofing costs $5 per sq.ft while in most cases the maximum cost may be $10 sq.ft. If you consider this price, it seems affordable in smaller roof with smaller areas. But here comes a drawback that we will discuss later.
Another aspect that should be considered before going with slate roofing by a slate roofer is the installation cost. You have here two options as well. First, get it done by a service provider and the 2nd is to get help from a slate roofing specialist. The cost of slate roofing installation is $12-$16 per sq.ft. A lot of people have shared that the slate roofers or service providers don’t perform the perfect installation and the best method is to try a slate roofing specialist. If you get it done right and in perfect manners, the life of your slate roofing increases by years.
Now let’s see what the benefits and drawbacks of slate roofing are:
Pros of Slate Roofing
- Slate roofing is a secure option. It protects against fire, water, storm and even the worst damages. Elements, weather and animals cannot damage slate roofing is done perfectly.
- The most common reasons most of the people go for slate roofing is reliability. A slate roof repair expert revealed that it may lost for 50 years, 30 years and even a century but all depends on how the work was done. For this reason, the perfect installation is inevitable and this is not something you can afford every two or three years for repairing.
- With slate roofing, your house looks pretty awesome. The natural look of stone and slate makes the roof give an amazing look. You can actually make it look even better.
- There are a good number of options available in slate roofing. If you know any slate roofer, they may provide you all the details regarding options and their cost for slate roofing.
- Last but not the least, slate roofing is a great option for commercial buildings. The owners of plazas, shops and commercials buildings may go with this option in order to add more years to the building life. Things are simple and with slate roofing, building is even securer and safer for use.
Cons of Slate Roofing
Obviously, everything has the negative and so does the slate roofing. Here is what are the drawbacks of slate roofing.
- Slate roofing is only good for heavy constructions. Always consider the amount of weight you are adding to the roof while preparing it. That’s why slate roofing is not for every home. And if you live in an area where snowing is rife, this is not an option for you at all.
- We have discussed the cost of slate roofing and apparently, it’s expensive for residential use. Its cost may not feel higher when it’s used for commercial buildings but everyone can’t afford it. The material and installation cost are very high.
- Slate roof repair is almost impossible. In case, the roof gets damage it will cost you a lot of money. Furthermore, the installation gets disturbed and may damage the whole setting of slate roofing.
- It’s really hard to find the replacement tiles in case any damage is done. Moreover, there is always a risk of poor or wrong installation of slate roofing when done from a slate roofer or slate roofing specialist.
Categories: Home Improvement